“There is one body…” (Ephesians 4:4).
Jesus is the head of the body, His church (Ephesians 5:23). He is neither a decapitated head without a body nor a freak with one head and many bodies. Just as a wife rightfully belongs to only one living man, so only one church rightfully belongs to Christ.
So, which one is it?
It is the one which…
- Follows the New Testament which the one Spirit revealed and inspired.
- Has the one hope of eternal salvation as God’s rightful heirs, according to His last will and testament.
- Has Jesus as its lone Savior and ever seeks to obey the one Lord.
- Believes and practices the one faith which was once for all delivered to the saints in the first century.
- Practices the one baptism and rejects all pretentious imitations of it.
- Belongs to the one God’s spiritual family.
This is the one body Jesus nourishes and cherishes (Ephesians 5:29).
This is the one church Jesus promised to build (Matthew 16:18) and did (Romans 16:16).