As a father of four sons, there were few things more persuasive on an invitation than those two simple words. One of the parables Jesus used to illustrate the kingdom of heaven had free food as an important detail (Matthew 22:1-14).
When describing the tremendous blessings she offers, wisdom details a luxurious feast at her house. “Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars; she has slaughtered her meat, she has mixed her wine, she has also furnished her table. She has sent out her maidens, she cries out from the highest places of the city, ‘Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!’ As for him who lacks understanding, she says to him, ‘Come, eat of my bread and drink of the wine I have mixed. Forsake foolishness and live and go in the way of understanding’” (Proverbs 9:1-6).
What a feast wisdom offers:
- It is a feast in a secure location.
- It is a feast with the finest food.
- It is a feast with the loveliest furnishings.
- It is a feast with invitations sent personally by human messengers.
- It is a feast with an unlimited guest list.
- It is a feast with a generous and gracious host.
- It is a feast with wonderful results.
All things at wisdom’s feast are ready; what is your response to her invitation?