Spiritual amnesia is deadly. Remembering God’s past and present blessings fuels your present and future faithfulness. Remembering all His benefits is the mainspring of genuine, passionate praise. “Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul and forget not all His benefits” (Psalm 103:1-2).
In Psalm 103:3-5, David instructs his soul to recall five blessings from Jehovah to feed his desire for praising God. He reminds himself to forget not:
- God’s forgiveness: “Who forgives all your iniquities.” Jehovah covers over/pardons your legal infractions—the crooked dealings you have had with Him and others.
- God’s healing: “Who heals all your diseases.” In addition to providing legal help, Jehovah has restored your physical health. Every recovery from a physical ailment has come from His healing hand.
- God’s redemption: “Who redeems your life from destruction.” Sin enslaves; it reigns over its slaves as a cruel taskmaster and ruthless tyrant. Finally, when you can no longer serve it heinous purposes, it kills you—plunging you into the abyss of eternal torment. God delivers you from this horrific nightmare—a life of abject slavery.
- God’s royal treatment: “Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies.” In God’s family, you are given “royal treatment”. You are not considered servile but royal. Continuous lovingkindness and tender mercy flow as the standard treatment God has for His beloved.
- God’s blessing: “Who satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” God’s concern for His children is detailed and minute. In addition to the spiritual blessings He gives, He provides physical blessing—including your daily bread. He sustains your life.
“Bless the Lord, O my soul and forget not all His benefits.”