“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3).
Every well-stocked and well-run storehouse has a list of its inventory. Such a list enables a proprietor to determine the size of his loss in case of a fire or theft and his sale price in case of a purchase offer.
There is no greater, more priceless inventory than the one placed on deposit in the church Jesus built. Each member of the Godhead—the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—has personally involved Himself in placing this vast spiritual wealth into Jesus’ temple.
Note the following treasures found in its inventory:
- Election (Ephesians 1:4)—the action of divine love whereby all who are in Christ are lovingly blessed with holiness and blamelessness before God.
- Adoption (Ephesians 1:5-6)—the action of divine omniscience whereby adequate provision was planned and made for the continual addition of children to God’s family.
- Redemption (Ephesians 1:7-9)—the action of divine power whereby slaves of sin are set free from their harsh and tyrannical master.
- Forgiveness of sin (Ephesians 1:7)—the action of divine grace whereby the guilt of sin is separated from the sinner.
- Unity (Ephesians 1:10)—the action of divine wisdom whereby men and women from every tribe, tongue, people, and nation are reconciled to God and one another and are gathered into one universal body.
- An inheritance (Ephesians 1:11-12)—the action of divine generosity whereby every member of God’s family is a co-heir with Christ and thus receives the eternal, incorruptible, and undefiled blessings of glory, righteousness, and life.
What an inventory!