One of the consistent characteristics of inspired counsel is its conciseness. In one sentence, Jesus declared all it takes to build a rock-solid life (cf. Matthew 7:24-25). A thousand years prior, Solomon pinpointed the building blocks necessary for a rock-solid life with these four sentences: “My son, keep my words, and treasure my commands within you. Keep my commands and live and my law as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart. Say to wisdom, ‘You are my sister’ and call understanding your nearest kin that they may keep you from the immoral woman, from the seductress who flatters with her words” (Proverbs 7:1-5). Consider carefully his counsel.
- Value God’s will—Treasure His commands.
- Obey God’s commands—Keep His words; keep His commands.
- Maintain a protective watch over God’s law—Keep His law as the apple of your eye.
- Engraft God’s word into your life—Bind them on your fingers and write them on your heart.
- Cultivate a tender and valued relationship with God’s wise counsel—Treat His wisdom as a most beloved next of kin.
When this is done, a lifetime filled with sin, heartache, shame, guilt, remorse, and folly is avoided.
Are you building a rock-solid life?